The first thing you should do is take a look around your property. What do you notice?
- Where is the easiest entry? Is there anything you can do to make it harder to access?
- Weigh your desire for privacy with your want for security. High fences and shrubbery can add to your privacy, but can also be an asset to a burglar.
- Make sure you have exterior lights and motion detectors mounted out of reach because burglars like dark spaces – if you have ample light it will most often scare them away.
- Remember that burglars want quick entry, so even simple security devices like nails, screws, padlocks, door and window locks, grates, bars and bolts be of big benefit for you.
- Consider installing a burglar alarm system. The most effective ones also ring at an outside service.
- Also, make sure all of your valuables are out of clear sight. Rearrange furniture and belongings so that burglars aren’t able to "window shop."